?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Choose Your Own Adventure

See if you can supply the correct answer to this:

You open the door, revealing a 10' x 10' room. There is a chest against the opposite wall. The walls are all stone, and to one side, a cloak is hanging on a peg.

WHAT DO YOU DO?



[as seen on mearls '  LJ, posted by ninjadebugger ]

Tags:

Comments

( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
huggyrei
Dec. 30th, 2008 12:28 pm (UTC)
Um.... wonder where the hell am I and how did I get here?
richgreen01
Jan. 1st, 2009 09:45 am (UTC)
Nope. This is old skool 1st edition AD&D dungeon crawling so there's no need to ask that kind of deep question!

Anyone else know?

huggyrei
Jan. 1st, 2009 03:17 pm (UTC)
I would not be laying any kind of game where this question is not relevant, as I like roleplaying games not wargames. Therefore this question is deeply relevant. In fact, even a dungeon crawl based game where I am suddenly in front of a room with no memory of how I got there would make me pause. Context would change my response - I wouldn't necessarily want to fireball the lurker/mimic/cloakers/stunjellies if they were deliberately placed there by a friends of mine, and also it seems deeply paranoid to assume that a room would be full of monsters if I am inside the house of someone I trust who would have a legitimate reason to have a room containing an actual chest and cloak. Plus, in an RPG the only 'correct' answer is the answer which people give, that's the point of a RPG rather than a quiz show. And games are more fun when I ask that kind of deep questions, regardless of what type of game.

Also, the monsters are not immune to each others abilities, so the stunjellies will have stunned the cloaker and each other, the mimic will have dissolved anything it touches, including the trapper, and the trapper explicitly eats things on top of it and so will be trying to eat the mimic (and probably also the stunjellies). Therefore my answer is: stand back and wait while they all kill each other first.

Or am I taking this too seriously? :)
richgreen01
Jan. 1st, 2009 03:59 pm (UTC)
You're taking it too seriously, but that is certainly a very good answer!
kiiroi
Jan. 1st, 2009 10:43 am (UTC)
Put on the cloak and approach/open the chest?
richgreen01
Jan. 1st, 2009 01:49 pm (UTC)
Nope. A fatal error.
evilmonkey8472
Jan. 2nd, 2009 11:58 am (UTC)
What to do
So far I've toyed with the idea that its actually a computer rpg, so I would say left click on the cloak(or if its even more old school the TYPE 'Pick up the cloak' Or if its first edition then the measurement scales were completely different so perhaps 10'x10' means 10 inches in which case you stick your hand in and pull the items out!

But I don't think its either!

The fact you're saying its a riddle means it has a single answer rather than a choice. Tricky.
richgreen01
Jan. 2nd, 2009 02:34 pm (UTC)
Re: What to do
Nope. You're dead too!
ninthcouncil
Jan. 2nd, 2009 04:29 pm (UTC)
Dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Trappers, lurkers.... death trap!
richgreen01
Jan. 2nd, 2009 05:03 pm (UTC)
Another good answer, although this is my favourite:

Push a henchman into the room, and fireball the mimic, cloaker, trapper, lurker above, and 4 stunjellies while they're eating him.
( 10 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017
S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner